Re: laptop vs. desktop

Joan:

I imagine many schools, who go the way of *requiring* their students to
purchase computers, find it difficult to actually get and maintain the broad
range of socioeconomic diversity which should be requisite in an academic
environment. It seems that such practices are yet another way that schools
of design maintain the elitism of the design professions. There are those
students who managed to scrape enough funding to mearly attend school -
making them purchase a computer is out of the range of MANY people and is an
exclusionary tactic - though it may not be seen as such by whomever makes
these decisions. State institutions especially should certainly not
*require* their students to purchase computers, rather, suggest it as a tool
which they may find helpful.

On the issue of software, if it is the desire of an institution to produce
cad-jockeys, then by all means, have them use a software package like
Auto-Cad, (the industry standard of architecture *production* in the
*profession*), though I'm sure there is a local community college or trade
school who teaches such things. However, if it is the desire of the
institution to produce graduates who can think critically, and not just
compu-draft, then a visualization software package like Form-Z would be a
much better option. Remember though, it is VERY easy to be seduced into the
realm of the toys of technology. It is important to remember too, however,
that architecture isn't how the built environment is rendered, rather the
results of such renderings. It is important to communicate one's ideas
clearly - but getting caught into thinking that it is the tools by which
such communications are affected is what constitutes architecture is
dangerous and something I see happening in a number of schools right now.

Best of luck:

Wayde Tardif
wayde tardif

architecture+graphic design