laptop vs. desktop

Does anyone have some information on how many architecture and design
schools are requiring students to buy computers? And, how many are
requiring laptops? Are any requiring desktops and if so, what impact does
that have on the design studio?

Our interior design faculty are going on a "retreat" for one day to discuss
integrating technologies. We have gone from being primarily pencil-based
to CAD although we still teach hand perspective drawing and rendering.
Both are integrated into studios. Our university recently instituted a
freshmen computer requirement. So far, we are requiring a PC desktop or
laptop and AutoCAD software (for their first drawing class). The rest of
the departments at the university require or recommend desktops with the
exception of architecture. But we are still debating the merits of both
formats. And, more than half of our students come in as internal or
external transfer which is probably different than architecture schools.

Let me know if you have any information and opinions on this matter.

Joan McLain-Kark
Associate Professor
Program Coordinator, Interior Design