Re: laptop vs. desktop

...on the other hand AutoCad IS the defacto standard in the industry so
introducing students to a tool that most of them will be REQUIRED to use
in practice is not such a bad thing. As for choice of software,
contrary to the previous response, ones ability to think critically has
**nothing** to do with whether a student learns and uses AutoCad, From-Z
or any other package.

I agree with Wayde's concern about the computer purchase requirement. I
would not have been able to afford the hardware and software on my own
when I was in undergrad. However, I know that a lot of students come to
the university with computers in tow these days. As for laptops, I have
never enjoyed using a laptop for visualization or cad. Given that one
can find respectable desktop systems for around the same price as a
laptop that would run cad software, I would stick with desktop systems.

--
Leonard Temko
College of Architecture and Urban Planning