Re: Architecture school expenses

I transferred from a program after four years of study because I didn't find
it likely that I would be able to fund a thesis project, be it the hard
costs of materials and research and incidentals like living situation,
rapidly depleting finanical aid and the likely need to work while trying to
maintain a full load of classes.

After ten years of work, retraining so I could function in other areas to
pay down debt, I purchased a table (I am a bit archaic that way; I actually
like to draw), and have decided to try and find out if I want to be an
architect, but only with the certainty that I can support it as I see fit,
without feeling I am mortaging my future in a profession that doesn't have
much promise in the way of revenue. But, today, I am much less bitter than
it might seem. I am almost debt-free and can get angry that I had to take a
ten year break. Instead, I appreciate that I have found the means and the
time to try again.

If you don't feel in control of your finances, and do not think yourself of
capable of funding the apparent need, my ugly advice is to quit now. Work
and find a way to define your own support mechanisms before trying agin. You
are clearly not as fortunate as many who have other means, but it's a long
spiral, since you find at most levels more of the same. Rich kids who had
their parents pay for their school are rich kids who get their boutique firm
funded who get their parents to pay for their first commission, etc. If you
can't be confident about handling money pressure now, it only gets worse
down the road. Doesn't mean it isn't possible, and, not knowing you at all,
that you wouldn't excel, but you have to thrive on the challenge now.

Grants, support, sure, maybe. Hustle and lie. JYA has more sage advice on
that front, but it always looked like a dry well to me.

You can be quite successful as an architect, finanically. But how you will
not learn getting a BAarch. And if that is all you want, go into graphic
design or photography. Much more lucrative and you can tell yourself that it
is somehow better than investment banking.

nic