nuts or huts !

> From: Derek Thornton <lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 01:38:41 +0100
> To: DESIGN-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: plain guantanamo
>
>> That the short-term, logical, linear, instrumental
>> nature of this solution, and the context in which
>> it is embedded, is the root of the problem may
>> never be dealt with by our civilization.
>
> Is that important, Van? Why should "our civilization"
> have to deal with that? The US military are dealing with
> it quite efficiently. The problem itself is short-term,
> logical, linear and instrumental in nature so the
> solution fits.
>
> All that is required is to get information out of the
> prisoners as soon as possible without actually being
> accused of torturing them.
>
> Everybody understands (or thinks they understand)
> what torturing means but I doubt that charges of not
> adhering strictly to the Geneva Convention on
> Prisoners of War are going to mean a great deal to
> most people.
>
> The "rabbit hutch" solution is strictly functional, serves
> the purpose, makes use of local resources and materials,
> conserves energy, does not unnecessarily damage
> the environment, is open and transparent, does not
> waste taxpayers' money - all ideal characteristics of
> a utilitarian 21st century architecture. I would imagine
> that the designer feels very pleased with the overall
> result. Neat but not gaudy, an adequate design.
>
> To me, the only discordant note is the continuation
> of the newly-found inclination to erect public viewing
> stands à la Twin Towers (or, the new twist, letting
> the action take place where natural features provide
> a ready-made viewing stand).
>
> I predict a great future for a company that can offer
> a rapid-response mobile public viewing-stand rental
> service (preferably with built-in ticket booths, pooled
> TV camera facilities and satellite access) that can
> be erected rapidly in the vicinity of natural disasters,
> scenes of great suffering, major national tragedies,
> airplane crashes, etc.

I always see first then portable latrines. Good bznss.

Same are used on the Fresh Kill Hills, where the WTC scrap metal is
separated and send to India ( I think around Madras) to be recycled.
Just another plain common bizness. Who receives the money paid for the scrap
recycled? Silverstein? Insurance companies? Would be interested to know ...

Those companies of rapid supply of everything exist everywhere. Studio
quality sound for public shows. Video imaging for Pavarotti from some Sienna
or Firenze show . The internet camsets used to check now if I want the
wheather in Moscow or Medellin. and many others.

> The public has a right to know?
> Derek Thornton

and sometimes has difficulties to find such letrines Try to find one in
central washington. I tried once. Had to find some comercial surface.

Actually the right to know is relative and finally ineffective. The majority
of the vast public doesn't care of what's happening too far away.
The law of the death X mileage.
And just suppose the us military woudn't have said the prisoners of war
would be sent to Cuba, and were kept in Kabul, which part of the public
would have cared of that ?
But the point is not such, the same economy of materials in the design of
the huts would be an insult to my greatdanes. They have walls to be
protected, and the door can be opened so they may go pee in some open field
around. Do you know the real peasure to pee openly, not in a bucket ? In
someone's garden ? Remember Rocket Gibraltar - the movie ?

Also such walls would offer a privacy: please try to go on some bucket in
some open public place, like the Rockefeller Plaza, or some florida beach.
some police officer would send you immediately to a psychiatric unit.

I think the designer of those HUTS should be also considered NUTS.

?¼?