Re: nuts or huts !

Derek,

I never suggested that the ignorance of others' perspectives does not go
both ways. Americans are, by and large, shockingly ignorant of the rest of
the world--much to our detriment. But, the rest of the world is equally or
even more ignorant of us. This is what I have been trying to point out
here.

The primary difference is: most Americans don't even pretend to know that
much about the rest of the world (complacent ignorance), while many, many
non-Americans I have met (in person, on media and on the net) proclaim
themselves as soap-box experts on the United States, its people, its
culture, and its policies (belligerant ignorance). We are ignorant of
others, and don't often try to feign otherwise (since for the most part we
don't care that we are ignorant). Many others (Europeans in particular, if
I may be so bold) are just as ignorant of us, but very often pretend to be
knowledgable. I'm not sure which is worse. Assuredly, both conditions are
very bad.

Generally, and relating directly back to my original post in this thread,
out of sight, out of mind. Americans mostly don't care about the rest of
the world and wish foreigners would just bloody well quit hassling us. But,
then, nobody else seems to give a rip about what we really think or are
trying to accomplish either, so the feeling is mutual. A lot of
misunderstanding comes from that situation--and then buildings start blowing
up.

~g

---