Re: giant's fall ?

Oh! That way -- that's all right, but the fun starts when these laws
fall in the hands of non-social scientists who sort of know the cautions
they must exercise as well. That's what, indiscriminate application.

What makes my day is the understanding of "space" in this context, these
past few mails -- or rather, the way it was rationalised: without kinks,
holes, pipes and what-have-you. A nice, middle class space of
make-believe comforts [never mind that we keep tripping and falling all
over it], in other words, an architect's space. Neatly centred.

~g, some people act know-all about America because it irritates
Americans enough so that they don't interfere. And personally, I often
do it because I want to brush against people who have had their mental
furniture reorganised by American institutions, and are deeply troubled
by it and yet couldn't acknowledge the fact: students, journalists and
increasingly, computer guys who have spent a furlough in those excellent
sweat shops in the silicon valley or alley. In other words, sometimes I
want to be wrong and furious just to make some non-Americans think about
themselves! Comes with the teaching job, see! Have to keep an eye on the
Diaspora because they are the college's 'assets' and so on. It's a
gimmick!

But then, at other times I am just furious.