Re: (another) map

OK. For security purposes only, I moved my Plato's Cave pet rock from the coffee table to one of the niches in the wall between my living room and dining room. I'm sure that rock is worth at least $100, so no stone's throw here.

Anyway, is this niche-obsessed, crippling education really such a big problem, and if so, what's the opposite or inversion of "niche-obsessed, crippling"? I'm asking because I want to understand it better. Does naming the problem here help toward a solution? or at least bring about a better understanding? I'm genuinely curious.

Even if I just think about "niches" and myself, it doesn't take me long to realize that my activities over the last five years or so have become very much a set of specialized, obscure, and even arcane niches. [Anyone here want to dispute that St. Helena is one of my more obtuse and undenibly niche-y obsessions?] For me, however, the redeeming factor of these niches is their uncommon-ness. I never was one for occupying the more common niches (and my so-called (I guess you could say virtual) career is a testement to that). So how am I to resolve with the notion of "niche-obsession's crippling effect" if I know for myself that uncommon niche occupation has made me more intelligent than I ever previously thought possible?

Is the fact that the lion's share of my education is indeed from self-education somehow a key to resolving the above dilemma? Does niche-obsession work just fine (if not extremely well) when you are actually building the niche yourself as well?

[Hi. I'm an architect, and I specalize in niches. Please let me design a niche or two for you. I'll even incorporate lots of content. You won't be sorry, but it might take some time for you to really understand (ie, like) it.]

I actually do have two niches in my living room. They are arched and about 28" high, 18" wide and 10" deep. Each contains a figurine (both of which were originally from the house next door). These figures are only about 8" tall. Already a few times it's been commented that the scale is not right, but, for me, the smallness of the figures makes the niches ever so slightly grand. It's the "big" empty space above the figures that I like so much. Learning from lacunae, I suppose.

I won't even bother elaborating on the fact that my living in the same (15.5' x 45' footprint) 3 floor (including basement) house for the last 44 years, and for the last fourteen years not even going out of the house on average three days a week is about as literally niche-obsessive as an otherwise modern urban human can get. Then again, no ever asks me to solve anything, or design anything, or (God forbid) teach something, so maybe I have been crippled. Perhaps all I am now is a completely self-disabled architect. I don't even renew my license to practice (but it really only costs $35 extra to redo that, and that I can afford).

ps
I just decided to name my two niches www.quondam.com and www.museumpeace.com -- worldwide architecture designed via self-education and built without a license.