Re: (another) map

>"Influencing by example" is part of the problem you're trying to
avoid. My point being that
>following the example of others is not an attribute that makes
individuals in the first place.

To be influenced by is not necessarily to follow but in any case, if being
influenced by an example leaves no recourse but to be a copycat, mindlessly
following with no personal volition to add or subtract, modify and improve,
then you are right and I am wrong. There
is truly, no hope and I ought to be confused by all the examples around me
of those who I would emulate, those who I would despise and those from whom
I'd borrow an aspect. I
guess your true individual is somehow preformed, pre-programmed and
uninfluenceable.
Mine seems to be more malleable, more apt to pick and choose while creating
the whole, perhaps never becoming perfect.

Native Americans, Europeans? Montezuma who said to Cortes, "This was
foretold by the kings who governed your city, and now it has taken place.
You have come back to us; you have come down from the sky. Rest now, and
take possession of your royal houses. Welcome to your land, my lords!"
Cortes who replied, "We have come to your house in Mexico as friends. There
is nothing to fear." I would only say that both had much to learn from each
other.

I think we're stuck in one of those conversations where every disagreement
is occassion to say "that proves my point." Let's leave it at mutual
indifference.

//Van