Re: le'ts energize

le'ts energizePaper made separations or 'windows' were not just used in Japan, but throughout the oriental civilisation, the koreans, the chinese, and their other immediate neighbours. It's not sure who started it, but probably the chinese as most things japanese. Except that the japanese usage was a bit different. The chinese had pivoting doors, and they had sliding doors. A good deviation of a simple technique and material. Strength of the japanese.
----- Original Message -----
From: patachon
To: DESIGN-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 12:36 AM
Subject: le'ts energize

I saw recently on the NASA channel the first airplane completely made of paper. Big one, 12 meters wide (aprox.).
he flew about 200 feets (or more. don't remember exactly...)
a real paper design. designed on paper, entirely made with paper.
tubing and areas papaermade, only some glue added.

a first ?

also, the japanes architecture used for centuries paper made separations or "windows" . they had no glass then. But needed light inside, and also more intimacy than with transparent glass is used. Dutches, their windows with complete vision from outside to the inside, were probably amazed.

From: Howard Ray Lawrence <howardl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Paper Architecture.
Of course, we have used the term "paper architecture" to mean an architectural proposal on paper that likely could not be built. This reminds me of present-day virtual architecture. I had mentioned in an earlier post that virtual architecture could not be built without a mathematical connection between its' 2-space representations and a 3-space reality. This is the very same problem of designing 3-space in 2-space. I would say that the most successful way of designing 3-space concepts is in 3-space. It is there that they can really be seen and developed. I am not saying that drawing is unimportant. It is important. It's an easy starting place for 3-space concepts. So, I guess we could many times call virtual architecture an improbable "electronic or energy-based architecture"

>>>some point here is the inner vision. After a drawing on paper, a good work creates "inside" the brain of the viewer the Idea of what is the tridimensional.
of course the work must be comprehensible and the viewer as clever as the conceptor. And it's valid also if you use a PC... the pc shows you a 2 d image on the screen the movement possible with a render on maya gives you the 3d, but your brain must see it. If the image is still , on the screen, or on a paper sheet, what's the differecne: there is NO 3 D then. the moving imaginery/machinery gives your brain the illusion of some 3D. Stop/pause the image and you'll need again your brain to see , eventually, some 3d, isn't ??? As with a painting of old flemish masters, you then need to see the perspective, or feel it, to be amazed by the work done.

the virtual - electronic - on energy relying - concept seems a little bit overdevelopped here. You also use , as an architect, probably more energy
(carbohydrates) when you're drawing a good perspective of some building than the energy actually used by your Autocad. And your brain uses also some energy....

And the improbability of the energy is non existent per se. energy is always a positive value per se , and therefore never improbable . Working on something always requires some energy. Architecture is a good consumer, as any applied art. Be it developped by hand or machinery, some brain is always behind, there. Glucosed or ethanolised - sometimes, energy is found any way ( or anyways).
(:-D)

¼Tß