Sculptor Gage Prentiss, Rail Trail Sculpture, Nashua River Rail Trail in Groton.

Rail Trail sculpture vandalized
GROTON -- A much-loved sculpture/bike rack of a swamp tree along the Nashua River Rail Trail in Groton was vandalized on Wednesday night and thrown into the swamp.

The steel sculpture was created by Fitchburg's Gage Prentiss and funded by a grant from the Groton Cultural Council and Groton's NOA Gallery, and had just been installed in September.

"The goal of the sculpture and the two colorful benches we installed was to add to the beauty along the trail, and to give people a place to sit, put their bikes and enjoy the surroundings," says NOA's Barbara Scofidio. "Our other goal was to make people on the trail curious about Groton, and to come into town and support the local businesses."

She says it took a year to write the grant and get the necessary approvals to make the project happen.

Prentiss has set up a fund to restore and re-install the sculpture, which he estimates will cost around $300. Checks can be made out to NOA and sent to: Rail Trail Sculpture Recovery Fund, PO Box 764, Groton, MA 01450, or call (978) 448-2959.