designers for the eyes only ....

----- Original Message -----
From: lauf-s

I've never read Dante's DIVINE COMEDY, but it doesn't take much imagination for me to see Saddam Hussein and Dick Cheney together in the INFERNO.

[While the cross is a (now) omnipresent Christian symbol, it is the extreme-ness of Christ's wounds that is much more revelatory. From the Circumcision to the Crown of Thrones Christ's wounds occur at corporal extremes, and the last wound goes straight to the inner extreme of the heart.]

Is not the French Revolution's Reign of Terror a modern historical event?

more modern would be the Pol Pot regime...
isn't there apparently a contradiction between storing (historing) supposedly past events and modern-ism wich refers to relatively recent events

from the Latin:
capitalis -e adj relating to the head or life; (law) affecting a man's life or civil status; (of crime) punishable by death, punishable by loss of civil rights, capital; dangerous, deadly, mortal; chief, preeminent, distinguished, of first rank

Getting Saddam Hussein out of power isn't the only thing to do to make the world a better place.

yes. similarly neither would be the changing of Dubya , another "head of state"...

and from capitalis you have also Chapitre ( or Chanoine of a convent or congregation) , Chapitre ( of a written text, previously introduced by a goldened painted capital letter) (Enluminure...) ( en-lumen, a lightening (luz / lumen /light), an enlightenment, created by the shiny illustration at the head of the chapitre to be written "under" it )

la peine capitale ( of the French revolution) used the beheading to attain (?) a total and effective elimination of the sacrified. No way to survive...

The reduced heads in some amazonian tribes were kept as a powerful symbol.
Shakespeare using it on stage to be or not to be...
Chinese still execute dead penalties with a bullet in the head/neck.

and execution is a reminiscence of ex -cut - action coming from the old fashioned beheading of english queens or their likes.a total , absolute separation.
But when Karajan executed a Wagnerian opera.......

from Steve:
My reaction was similair to others who grew up in the
variant flavours of Catholocism, mainly Byzantine Rite
and Marionite. I was used to these visual spaces chock
full of images, symbols, bright colors, references etc.
When I went to a protestant church for a friend's wedding
it seemed very cold and bare, like something that wasn't
completed. Also for me the services lacked that magical
aspect that Catholic services had. They seemed to be this
guy with the bible going on and on about his interpretation
of it. I could just avoid that part of Catholic services
by showing up a little late.;)

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

may i add, respectfully, that some visual feed is common if not a necessity , in some kinds of rites.

But the basics of Islam and protestantism is a lack of representation of the divinity(ies) supposed to be perfect, therefore not to be represented as nobody on earth is perfect.... not even Michelangel or Rubens...

No imagery is authorized (if i'm right) so the religious buildings are adorned with geometry in muslim rites, or with nothing (protestant churches are generally very very austere) ( but the uniforms or the Canterbury abbad or the diacons not exactly austere...)

Islam and protestantism came in a kind of reaction to excesses of the catholic rituals (and personals) including the visually overcharged shows, of wich the incensoir moved in Santiago de compostela's cathedral could be a good exemple)
I donno if the St Pieter in Rome is an overcharged symbol, too... or the Sixtine chapel....

Recently the use of the visually explicit beheadings are born again in some (pseudo) traditional practices.
(Beheading a guy in front of a video camera while shouting Alla Akbaarr or similar religious oration...)
But the existence of television is a cause of such evolution, and events.
the visually explicit material...
Those prisoners never would have been beheaded in the silent movie era....

are some cultures in the need of more explicit systems of references , including in their religious rituals, to satisfy an instinct of enjoying with the eyes what's around us, including in their religious buildings ? or even the explicit materials ?

Are some western or north american religious groups generally derived from protestantism in the need of satisfying similar sensual sensations ( like the gospels sung by huge choirs in Salt lake City or in small Louisiana or Mississipi towns by Mahalia Jackson followers ??) or are those guys kept satisfied, in that sense, by the excesses of some television acculturation replacing the old fashioned christian (catholic) imagery inside the church by a moving imagery behind an illuminated glass screen while in their churches they have nothing to look at, outside of their own minds ?

or on the contrary should religious rituals become more abstarct, austere, introspected, and simultaneously televisions banned from our everyday's lifes ?
to reduce the excessive impact of the visual in our daily life would be a good idea.

No way, you, designers for the eyes only ....

TAKE CARE, EVERYBODY...

P.

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...