MOCA, Tucson, Arizona. Opening. Themes of Excavation and Topography.

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/98/14/04_1.html

". . .With "Portal," Manley constructed 30 walls, wallpapered them, and then drilled through, forming a hole descending into darkness. . .
"Domestic space is space that we create, that we're always adding to," Manley said. " It becomes geographical and layered like the earth is." . . .

Excavation and topography are also present in Manley's "Room Part One" and "Room Part Two."

"Room Part One" features a door that has a hole drilled in it, revealing layer after layer of paint, like a cross section of the earth's core and heat layers surrounding it.

"Room Part Two" rests on a board next to the door and looks like an autobiographical connect-the-dots. There are splotches of reds, greens, and blues, and short, numbered phrases written next to them. "I'm really hungry," is cataloged by number and connected by string to "Bush Mentality," which goes on to "Oak Creek Canyon" weaving a connect the dots of passing thoughts and concerns.

Tom Miller's "Being Workmen" also incorporates painting and architecture, but involves a medium of sounds, video and sculpture to explore what masculinity means under the role of the white, working-class male.

"Being Workmen" is centered around a character Miller created, William Workmen, a pot-bellied, balding, business man. A four-foot-tall sculpture of the character, entitled "Four Feet and Fatter" greets you as you enter Miller's space. . ."

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...