a terrifying , badly designed show

----- Original Message -----
From: lauf-s

Burt Lancaster is also in one of my all time favorite movies, Bertolucci's 1900.

"But everyone knows you can't milk an old cow." What the young farm girl said after the Grand Pappa (played by Burt) asked her to jerk him off. I think this occurred also during dancing--that great scene when all the estate farmers are enjoying their Sunday afternoon off picnicking and dancing in the grove.

and some milkyway's years before, with Delon and Cardinale , he was in Visconti-s "The Gattopardo" ...
Woaaaw... (Tomaso(?) di Lampedusa as the descriptor of a decaying caste) and also a dancing scene stayed in many's minds...

I also like AND THE SHIP SAILS ON (saw it when it first came out, unfortunately the VHS copy at TLA/Chestnut Hill isn't exactly perfect).
ORLANDO, so very close to divine.

donno this one, meaby the original/english/name/title /is unknown around here... is DisneyWorld a kind of divine heaven too? :-)

[I love recycling my time away.]

yes. as time goes by you wonder how to recycle it better, isn´t ?

on (some long ago) Monday:
"I now propose," I said, "to show you the two eccentric fountains for which Brussels is so well known, the Spitter and the Mannekin Pis." My aunt demurred a little at visiting the second, but I assured her that she was unlikely to be shocked when she saw it--its fame is worse than its reality.
--Arthur Milton, BRUSSELS IN SEVEN DAYS: A GUIDE FOR PEOPLE IN A HURRY (1935), pp. 29-30.
agree. but is the spitter really in Brussels? i doubt of that. I think there is one in Charleroi *and as some say around there, "Karel, ik heb my gat gezien"...

and do you know the Brabo statue with the decapitated giant head in front of Antwerp's high brick cathedral ?
(One of the world highest,with the Bruges's one)

What a modern allegory.
the symbolism of beheading is an old tradition, but from Goliath to some recent " last scene" , humanity if it ever existed a a common value has changed for the worst...

(I just looked with horror ,quite vomiting, at a terrifying , badly designed show of an Us beheaded hostage last night, thinking after seeing such that the goat killing is a tradition in some places, and possibly a good preparation to such infamous knowhow... and that in any case , certainly not even in such animal (considered as despictive when compared to human, actually animals never badly and artificially act as humans do) behaviorism found in those hot blood killings and agonizing sounds slaughters... and i suppose such pseudo religious motivation confirms what the Crusades, Inquisition, Bergen Belsen or Pogroms did before, also for or under pseudo moral values accepted blindly by some.)
Humans are the worst "animals" on earth.

how can humans be killed just to be shown on WWW or TV elsewhere...by me... or anyone else?
are those hostages just the victims of modern fast fed mediatization ? should users boycott modern media to save those lives? (seems too late...)( those beheaded were probably tortured and executed just and only to be shown on a tv flatbed outside their killing tapestry, ground or obscured cave...) public executions, on a public place, at least had eventually(???) a more acceptable (?) purpose.And I sincerely hope those beheaded were drugged or sedated to avoid...what ....??? but their suffering must have been... I should suppose therefore the guillotine or axes "used on" so many in the european history (or elsewhere) acted more humanely(?) first on the neck, instead of on the throat...brrrthose executioners are disgusting from any point of view, and make me remember the saying in the french "J'irai pisser sur vos tombes", as those black widowers don't even deserve to be used themselves as nitrogen fertilizers...and should stay rotting on top of ... but i begin to loose control, here. sorry... so for you and their broken families , take care ... (let's let those old arabic civilisations become democratic by their own self... if they deserve it, they will finally design such a positive goal, as so many other countries did before.)P.finally are those horror shows "well designed", because effective even if their purpose is not?

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...