Re: H's necrophilia

1) I think the dispositions have more to do with Geertz"s dispositions in
The Interpetations fo Cultures:

"... (tendencies, capacities, propensities, skills, habits, liabilities,
pronenesses) which lend chronic character to the flow of his (sic) activity
and quality of experience. A disposition describes not an activity or an
occurence but of a probability of an activity being performed or an
occurence occurring in certain circumstances: ...to be pious is not to be
performing something we would call an act of piety, but to be liable to
perform such acts." (p95)

2) Similarly for "group" dasein as in Plato's Republic:

".... It would be absurd to suppose that vigor and energy for which northern
people like the Thracians and the Scythians have a reputation aren't due to
their individual citizens; and similarly with intelligence, which can be
said to be the main attribute of our own part of the world, or with the
commercial instinct which one connects with the Phoenicians and Egyptians."
(435e)

3) Dread, Care, Guilt are dispositions constituitive of authentic dasein,
so "universal" in some way which is not an affective uber cognitive
distinction so much as an ontological character (structure?) of the
affective, the cognitive, the you-name-it...

  • Analytic/Continental Listserver
    • From: quark