Re: atheism

Thanks to everyone who helped with this question. I am writing a paper on
Heidegger and the gods, partly because I am intrigued by this idea of
being an ontic atheist but being open to the "spiritual". This dichotomy
is pithily expressed in the Metaphysical Foundations of Logic, p. 165n,
where Heidegger claims that ontic faith in God is Godlessness, and that
the genuine metaphysician is more religious than the ontic believer.
If I may throw another cat among the pigeons, while I cannot find
a definitive statement to this effect, my impression is that whatever
form genuine spirituality may take, it would definitely *not* be
Christian. Heidegger seems to hold that Christianity is *essentially*
metaphysical, and hence essentially nihilistic. Any views on this?

Martin Weatherston,
Philosophy & Religious Studies Dept.,
East Stroudsburg University,
East Stroudsburg, PA 18301.