RE: Husserl/Heidegger

Hi Laurence,

You make it sound as if my assessment comes from a mere five minute
encounter with Martin Heidegger. You will have to take my word that I
have looked into the issue closely enough to write a dissertation and a
small book on Emmanuel Levinas and his departure from the Heideggerian
approach. And, furthermore, I'm not at all dismissing Heidegger.

I don't mean to sound defensive here. But it seems to me that you are the
one who is making snap judgments. No hostility here. Just trying to clarify.

Sincerely,
Tony

On Thu, 23 May 1996, Laurence Paul Hemming wrote:

> Anthony Beavers wrote
>
> >finding Heidegger's thinking
> >to be ethically bankrupt myself
>
> Is not a life here summed up and dismissed in a sentence? Is not what =
> is at issue in this discussion the passing of arbitrary sentences on =
> lives (in Nazi practise)? Do we have to reiterate this style of summary =
> justice to ensure we are pure of Nazi taint? Who is here saying what to =
> whom, and why?
>
> Laurence

A.F. Beavers, Ph.D. Assoc. Prof. Philosophy & Religion
U of Evansville, Evansville, IN 47722 812-479-2682
Metaphysics, Contemporary Continental Philosophy