Re: Heidegger and Japan

Heidegger has given several clues that relate his thinking to the East.

There is the story told of the time he was reading D.T. Suzuki and
remarked to the effect "this is what I've been trying to say all
along!"

There is also some American work being done on this question, which has
given the _Heidegger and Asian Thought_ text.

But perhaps most telling is the section 83 of the _Beitrage_, where, in
reference to the Nicht, Heidegger gives the clue that his thought is
"Kein Buddhismus! das Gegenteil."

It is only a clue, but as with all clues, it has its thought-provoking
structure.

To my mind that structure involves answering a tripartite questioning.

Is the Nicht thought as the Void, or what is the best homologue to
Heidegger's Nicht in Buddism, and how is it best to be comprehended?

Is the Gegenteil thought as an opposite, or what is the horizon that
forms the proper dimention of opposition to the Void, if that is what
it is, such that the Nicht is there in Heidegger's sense?

And how does the Nicht on the flipside show itself as the Gegenteil, or
what is the sense of the Nicht that it allows itself to be thought as
the Gegenteil of Buddismus?