Re: Ueberwindung/Verwindung ctd.

Michael Eldred wrote on the topic of Verwindung:

> Overcome with grief at the loss of someone, I slowly get over it. At first the
> grief overwhelms me, I cannot withstand the loss and give way to it. I twist in
> pain. (Ich winde mich vor Schmerz.) But with time I learn to bear to presence of
> the absence (the loss) without being overwhelmed by it. I no longer give way to
> the pain, am no longer twisted in grief, but straighten up, i.e. come to stand,
> in my existence once again. The pain is not abolished, however.
[snip]
There is something wistful about getting-over, a mastery
> (Hegel), but not in the manner of a sovereign, rather: a humble mastering. The
> pain remains, even though one gets over the loss.

Now I'm tempted to leave Hegel to the side and interject Freud.
Completed mourning as the introjection of the mourned object. But I'm
not in the mood to discuss Freud right now (ach so! Evasive strategy as
symptom!)

> An addendum: Paul Murphy asked recently about Reiner Schuermann's insistence on
> a shift in Heidegger's thinking from aletheiology to a topology. I haven't read
> Schuermann's book on this, but it does smack a bit of mere taxonomy.

Schuermann has a fairly explicit agenda here -- his reading is in many
ways profoundly Foucauldian, such that 'topology' takes the place of
(and expands) the notion of episteme. I can't recapitulate R.S.'s
argument here, as it's been a while since I read the book; I would
recommend it highly however as a very erudite and elegant presentation
of a *certain* Heidegger, or of a certain Denkweg made possible by
Heidegger. The section on the metaphysics of arche is especially lucid.
Paul Murphy
"The earth that has grown remote to itself is
without the hope the stars once promised. It is
sinking into empty galaxies. On it lies beauty
as the reflection of past hope, which fills the
dying eye until it is frozen below the flakes
of unbounded space."
-Adorno, _Mahler: a Musical Physiognomy_