Re: Primacy of poetry/language/myth

>Sorry, are you saying that poetry and works of art are two different things?

No, although in a rudimentary sense, poetry is one type of art work, albeit
an exemplary one because of its intimate connection with language.

>When did HEGEL say art was dead rather, as I had thought, that art was in
>a state of dissolution,
>being only a stage?

In the Nachwort to the Origin of the Work of Art, Heidegger quotes three
passages from Hegel's Lecture on Aesthetics, all to the point that art is
something past so far as its claim to the highest existence for humans.
Heidegger then raises the question: "is art still an essential and
necessary way in which that truth happens which is decisive for our
historical existence, or is art no longer of this character?...The truth of
Hegel's judgment has not yet been decided' for behind this verdict there
stands Western thought since the Greeks, which thought corresponds to a
truth of beings that has already happened."

If art is a stage, as you put it, it means it has been taken up into the
higher stage of consciousness of the science of logic. Heidegger questions
this verdict. Hoelderlin points to the questionability of Hegel's verdict.

>Further, have you not thought that the flighht of the gods, the darkening
>etc, is in turn necessary
>for truth as aletheia, for truth is not something continually held on to,
>at least as i saw it...

Yes, I have thought about it. It is what Heidegger means when he says we
must pass through nihilism and let it become powerful in order to overcome
it.

Chris

I just can't stop
When my spark gets hot