Re: Primacy of poetry/language/myth

>Thanks for the pithy summary of several hundred pages of densely
>articulated prose.

You're welcome. I've always considered brevity a virtue. Why, just today
I pithily summarized four decades of Heidegger's late thought into one
paragraph. Naturally not as tight as Heidegger, who gets it into one word:
Ge-stell.

>How frequent is this interpretation? I only know of Garcia-Duettmann's
>book, "La parole donnee", which advances a sort of discontinuous /
>paratactical Heid./Benjamin comparison, with interjections from others
>(viz., Rosenzweig and Adorno). Perhaps you're referring to Andrew
>Benjamin's work as scholar and editor, which I only know slightly (and
>that's only because of my diss. supervisor...) I would think, from your
>caricature of Benjamin (and Foucault and Derrida), that the kinships do
>indeed seem absurd; I'd rather see a comparison based on the notion of
>Eingedenken elaborated in 'Zum Bilde Prousts' (not to mention Adorno's
>'Parataxis') and Heid's Andenken.

The kinship I had in mind is not usually directly expressed, although I
have seen some articles that attempt to draw a Benjamin/Heidegger
connection. Perhaps the real link is Arendt, who as a friend to both
Heidegger and Benjamin may have taken up Andenken and thinking about the
past.

If I read too much into Trauer and moodedness from your original post, I
apologize. It makes it seem close to Caputo's radical hermeneutics, with
its overtones of thinking about the victim, particularly of the Shoah.

I would hardly think I presented a caricature of Benjamin, Foucault or
Derrida, particularly since I was quoting from Benjamin's Theses on the
Philosophy of History. It would be a peculiar caricature that quoted one of
his central points. About Foucault, I've run into more than a few
Foucauldians who would describe their genealogical project as, to
paraphrase Bill Connelly, recovering the blood from the dried scabs on the
pages of history. Derrida is a trickier matter for me, because I confess I
read rather little of his more recent works. I took the hints about
mourning from Aporias, particularly as he connects it with the critical
task he finds common to both deconstructionism and a certain Marxism as he
outlined in Spectres of Marx. I may be off base. It hardly amounts to
character assassination.

To say that these thinkers and Heidegger are differently attuned does not
necessarily redound to Heidegger's credit. Indeed Derrida and Caputo (the
latter very stidently) criticize Heidegger for missing the bodily suffering
in the history of being.

Chris

I just can't stop
When my spark gets hot