RE: Dr Michael Eldred

Michael Staple raised the question concerning the phenomenological
connection of Heidegger. I am struggeling with this riddle for years now and
would like to share some more thoughts on this. I hope others might feel it
belong to their intersets, too.

A most creative basic element in Heidegger's thinking for me is the
(historical-biographical as well as philosophical) moment in which, by means
of undergoing the training of developing "the phenomenological seeing" under
Husserl's personal guidance, he used this seeing in order to realize that
not Husserl, as heir of the modern turn to the subject, but rather the
ancient Greeks, especially Aristoteles, have thought the revelation of Being
in the most original/fundamental way. I feel that here we have the first,
more essential "Kehre" of Heidegger, the leading one that set the course of
his basic questioning in one (sided) direction: "Woher und wie bestimmt
sich, was nach dem Prinzip der Phaenomenology als 'die Sache selbst' erfahen
werden muss? Ist es das Bewusstsein und seine Gegenstaendlichkeit, oder ist
es das Sein des Seienden in seine Unverborgenheit und Verbergung?" (Zur
Sache des Denkens,s. 87, sorry for not having a translation.) This decision
can be explored by BOTH Hu.s and He.s because here is to be found
a onesided, and therfore unthought element of BOTH thinkers. My question is:
are these truly the only two possibilities? e.g., either/or, "consciousness
and its objectivity" or "the Being of beings in its unconcealment and
concealment"? can anybody of the friends here suggest a third, maybe still
unthought, way of questioning/thinking this moment of the "parting of the
ways"?

J.Ben-Aharon
Haifa uni. Department of Philosophy
E-mail:b_aharon@netvision.