Re: The Q of V

Actually, I don't think the Q of E and the Q of V (hereafter Q sub-one and
Q sub-two) are coterminous. I do however think they are related, although
I would be hard pressed to say precisely HOW ;).

I was in fact led to thinking about the subject in attempting to locate
a discussion of alterity in _SZ_. In H's phenomenological ontology, the
world appears replete with meaning down to its most seemingly insiginificant
feature, that is it is absolutely relatable to by Dasein, and is indeed
determined as a world in this relation, i.e. a thing is given as such-and-
such in the light of one or another of Dasin's possibilities-for-Being,
and it is given ONLY in this way. In other words, there is no alterity,
nothing completely alien to Dasein, with the single exception of death
(even though death gives meaning to a particular Dasein, make it this
or that individual with the specific possibilities that characterize it,
as the ground of said meaning it is itself meaningless). Which makes me
think of the limits of Dasein, those things which determine it as
such and such by not letting it be anything and everything, elements
in life which one attempts to suppress as much as possible but which
cannot be entirely eliminated, death, hunger, pain and misery, all of
which are 'evil' in the customary sense of the term but none of which
can be done away with and without which, note, we would not be human beings.
Which leads me into thinking about the Dasein's flight from the meaning-
giving limit that is its own death, the desire to efface the meaningless
>from life, the desire for immortality and the modern technological
project of conquering nature, i.e. eliminating disease and want .....

So that the Other would be that that limits Dasein, makes it a particular
Dasein, and in that limitation threatens it -- and the attempt is
accordingly made to efface it.

Or not.

:) Christopher Doss