the Q of V

Apologies to all.

Dr. Eldred,

Your dismissiveness here: mere bombast, penile melodrama ...,
seems maybe too abrupt. As for methodological punctilio,
it' s, frankly, beyond me. But, I'm still unconvinced
this theme is an ontological nullity. So perhaps you'd
consider a brief argument.

The ritual structure progression of attic tragedy is
>from sparagmos to recognition; the central rite of
Western Civ enacts the cannabalising of the god
to overcome death. The premier texts, Bible/Homer,
celebrate the devastation of a people of darkness by
a people of light...and on, and on.... The Heraclitean
fire itself, great Helios, the source of life and light, is
conceived in today's cosmology as a perpetual motion nuclear
mega-bomb. All this is perfectly innocent of "morality",
and as clearly archetypal, i.e. previous to any egoisms
and therefore (if I'm grasping H's idiosyncratic usage),
subjectivity.

It is the insight of reflective man, from Euripides to
Shakespeare to Van Gogh and Dostoyevsky,...that violence -
100 proof, sin eupemisms, sin abstractions - is one of
the two basic themes of existence.

Add to this the well known sitz im leben, the stream of life
which produced the H-ian text...and: How is it conceivable, Violence -
dynamic, engrossing, Heraclitean Violence, were not the controlling
trope? and does not its mere evocation more lucidly bring
to language the primordial truth of being of his stilted
formal indicators?