Re: The Q of V

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Capurro Annette wrote:

> ----------
> From: heidegger
> To: heidegger
> Subject: Re: The Q of V
> Date: Wednesday, July 31, 1996 2:33PM
>
> Dear Tom B.
>
> maybe you are identifying the question of violence with the question of
> evil.

I think that I'm suggesting that the question of (non)violence proceeds in
part in a deconstruction of the question of evil.

> Levinas is indeed approaching the question of violence metaphysically and he
> is doing this by a kind of sacralization of the Other (as the place where
> the Infinite-Other appears...). The question is, for me, if there is any non
> metaphysical reason (well, this is an oxymoron!) why we should (!) not be
> violent or, in other terms, whether there is a non-metaphysical ethics.
> Heidegger was asking for this in his question about the relation between
> ethos and physis. Ethos (with Epsilon) leads, according to Aristotle to
> Eethos (with Etha). The last one is understood (by H.) as dwelling, as the
> way we "are", we "dwell". I think Levinas turns this relationship the other
> way around, founding Eethos on Ethos (character or mood).
> Cheers
> Rafael

I don't understand your distinctions between Ethos (what is Epsilon?) and
Eethos, etc. I do favor the sense of ethos as dwelling, and "privately",
in my own thinking, I generally have a distinction between ethos and
morality. I associate "ethos" roughtly with space/place and "morality"
with time/ends. Ethos is a kind of static view, morality a more temporal
one. I don't know how that relates to what you're saying.

Your question about "why" I think is well formulated and preserves a
clarity of a very important moment, and a difficult one, too. I guess
I'll just have to think on it.

Regards,

Tom B.

"I'll take my coffee without sugar produced in slave labor camps, on third
world plantations or by prison chain gangs, thank you."