Re: Work of art and architecture

> why does aesthetics need grounding?
I am not saying that art needs grounding, what i am saying is this:
over the last three weeks Joseph Margolis, Alan Goldman, Bob Wicks and Steven Davies have been
delivering (the first two) and attending (the last two) lectures loosely based on Kantian aesthetics, a
postgraduate course run by Dr Wicks.
The techniques and references and terminology that the two visiting luminaries use is impressive, but the
arguments they have are debated at such a simplistic level forc they reject and accept counter-arguments on
bu one example.
So it goes round and round.
Try as I might I saw no critieria for accepting or refusing or modifying critieria of varying aesthetic critieria.
I am sure they do it, but informally, discreetly or subconsciously.
Until we attempt to develop such a or more meta-aesthetics, I personally think it will go around in circles.

> It appears that many of the attempts to ground architecture as recounted by Champion have been by many
>lights (although this is debatable) miserable failures (side note: I'm not sure why Derrida and Mies were
>linked to Neitzsche -- Derrida's ideas have been executed by Tschumi although he's been an influence on
>Eisenman (so has everything else) and Mies actually was most influenced (philosophically) by Schopenhauer
>(references on request)).
point 1: I never said miserable failures
point 2: I did not say that Derrida was linked to Nietzsche, but yes he was (eg _Spurs_). Derrida to Mies,
point 3: Of course what I say is debatable! I don't expect you to take my word for it!
point 4: I did not say that Mies was most inspired, best read via Nietzsche, but that he was influenced by him. I
personally think that his architecture is better read via Nietzsche than Schopenhauer, but am willing to
concede that point (though you actually said he was more inspired by the latter, not that trhis offered a better
reading). I would love to see your references, and have you read Nietzsche's _The Birth of Tragedy_?

> Now of course the Heideggerain reply here is to say that these theorists have not gone deep enough into
>the question of the grounding of architecture, which is fine, but I'd like to get some clearer idea of even the
>hints of a satisfactory reply along these lines - precisely because much of what has been written in
>theoretical circles this century could profitably be read in a Heideggerian vein.
>
> Thanks. Pook
Are you asking me for a solution that you already have?
The point of my email was twofold:
1. That "world worlds" iis not prescriptive enough
2. That I am deeply interested in meta-aesthetics, and wonder if others
a) see the problem
b) share the concern
c) are able to direct me further in my reading
as to architecture and/or Heidegger, I would gladly debate with you further on it.
Thank you for your questions.

PS Wittgenstein called himself an architect on his passport but i don't understand why your post you think is
better put on a Wittgenstein list.
Erik Champion