Re: Q of V

The distinction between *ethos* and *eethos* (Is there any better way
to translitterate the distinction between etha and epsilon on the e-
mail?) has been a popular theme in, e.g., a Heidegger-inspired
branch of the philosophy of law depicted often as "existential" (Erik
Wolf etc.). The distinction is often paired with localisation
(Ortung) and order (Ordnung) (cf. C. Schmitt, "Der Nomos der Erde").

On Heidegger and ethics: I have found much of what Jean-Luc Nancy and
especially Philippe Lacoue-Labarthe have been doing fascinating in
that the question of ethics in Heidegger is taken up and
worked out without having to refer to Levinas. I find it rather odd
that their names have not come up in this discussion which, having
started with a debate on the possible translations of *polemos*, has
acquired rather polemical traits itself. Perhaps Nancy and Lacoue-
Labarthe do not count as Heidegger-scholars proper. I once had the
pleasure of meeting Emmanuel Martineau, one of the French translators
of Heidegger, who rather surprisingly depicted his Strabourgian
compatriots as "amateurs".

Cheers,

Panu Minkkinen
University of Helsinki