Re: Verhaltenheit/violence/Seinsdenken

> In defense of Heidegger, the belief that there is a special connection
> between Greek and German is fairly widespread in Germany. My roommate
> there, certainly no Nazi nor even a particular enthusiast of things German,
> quite unselfconsciously asserted the same thing (he even claimed that the
> Germans pronounced Greek like the ancients did, like anyone would know).

There are ways: ancient language manuals (cultured Romans were supposed
to study Greek), comparitive analyses of poems, etc. Audio tapes of
classical works read with what scholars today believe is the correct
accent are available.

For the record, ancient Greek had a pitch-accent, and sounds
_nothing_ like German. The best comparison I can come up with
for the sound of classical Greek is the Swedish Chef in the Muppets.

Pete