Re: Verhaltenheit/violence/Seinsdenken

> In defense of Heidegger, the belief that there is a special connection
> between Greek and German is fairly widespread in Germany. My roommate
> there, certainly no Nazi nor even a particular enthusiast of things German,
> quite unselfconsciously asserted the same thing (he even claimed that the
> Germans pronounced Greek like the ancients did, like anyone would know).
> This leads me to believe that it is a general cultural assumption among
> educated Germans, sort of like Americans belief in their unique destiny
> (for good or bad).

Well, America does have a unique historical destiny, but that's not what
I wanted to say; Prof. Stephen Daitz would argue that we can know how
ancient Greek was pronounced, and I'm willing to bet that Germans do NOT
pronounce it that way. Anyone else familiar with the German pronunciation
of Greek? Do they do it musically, with pitches, like Daitz does?