Re: polemos, violence, virility

The weather here is positively tropical, so forgive me if this is muddled.

Michael Eldred writes:

>I am not implying beyng as violence is on centre stage, but that to interpret
>the oblivion to beyng as a violence done to beyng by human being would make
>humans the agents/subjects of the oblivion and in this sense put them or leave
>them 'on centre stage'. Dasein as an event in the history of beyng whereby the
>essencing of truth turns, thus using humans in an event-ful way, precludes a
>centre-staging of human beings.

I think this is exactly right. Heidegger himself came to have misgivings
about the term Seinsvergessenheit (I believe these are expressed in the
Vier Seminare), precisely because it implies some activity -- some violence
-- on the part of human being, making oblivion to being something for which
man is responsible. Such a claim, applied to the recollection of the
history of being, might imply that Plato, Aristotle, Augustine, Aquinas,
Descartes, etc. etc. got it 'wrong', make a mistake, messed up somewhere,
which is not Heidegger's point.

For this reason Heidegger adopted different terms: withdrawal, default,
staying-away [Ausbleiben]. This way of thinking is explored in some detail
in the essay from the end of the _Nietzsche_ volumes, "Nihilism as
Determined by the History of Being". (Mr. Blancato: if you haven't read
this essay, I recommend it highly. Indeed, besides _Intro. to Metaphysics_,
the lecture and essays on nihilism in the Nietzsche book are an exemplary
source for beginning to pose the question of violence).

Here Da-sein is described as the abode of being's default: "Being bestows
[begabt] itself by betaking [begibt] itself into its unconcealment, and
only in this way is It Being -- along with the locale of its advent as the
abode of its default [mit der Ortschaft seiner Ankunft als der Unterkunft
seines Ausbleibens]. This 'where' as the 'there' of the shelter belongs to
Being itself, 'is' Being itself and is therefore called Da-sein".

Being, as unconcealment, withdraws in the very unconcealment of entities,
thereby sending Dasein historically. Or as Heraclitus says, "physis
kryptesthai philei": physis loves to hide. Heraclitus attributes so
self-inflicted violence to this sheltering, this encryptment, and neither
does Heidegger.

Cheers,
Paul N. Murphy
University of Toronto