Re: Truth?!?

In the end, Heidegger is wrong on truth. Happily, he doesn't profess to
have all the answers to the Question of Being. So we can at least take
his work and redeem it and talk intelligently about Truth, denying none
of his true insights.

Chris Morrissey, President Microsoft Certified Professional
More C Communications Inc. Microsoft Solution Provider
http://www.moreC.com phone 604.877.7731 fax 604.708.9047

On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Staples, Michael wrote:

> I am confused about H.s view of truth. I don't understand the advantage H.s
> view has over any other relativistic view. As I understand it, H.s view
> might be described as a kind of pluralistic realism that contrasts the sort
> of Thomas Khun relativism only in that the conclusions differ -- Kuhn
> concludes that relativsm negates any sort of final version of truth, H. has
> a slightly different take on this. But as far as I can tell, H. is still
> firmly planted in the realm of relativism. He is still claiming that, even
> though the world about which we create truth is not relative to Dasein's
> Being, the truth itself is realtive to Dasein's Being. He is quick to point
> out that truth is not strictly subjective (as Kuhn, it seems to me, might be
> saying), but is still relative to Dasein's thrownness, culture, or whatever.
>
> I guess my question is... what great advantage is there is H.s version of
> pluralistic realism if the end result is going to be just one more version
> of relativism? And, where does one draw the line with respect to nailing
> down the relative parameters of truth? In other words, if I can say "Well...
> it may not be a valid truth in your era (e.g., the ancient Greek era), but
> it is in my era (20th Century)," then does this mean I can also say "Well...
> it may not be a valid truth for you, but it is for me"? If I can say this,
> then there isn't much difference between H.s version of truth and the
> strictly subjective truth of an extreme relativist.
>
> Help!
>
> Michael S.
>

> --- from list heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ---

  • Re: Truth?!?