Re: Truth?!?

Heidegger can be wrong about Truth but still have true insights, like,
"If I finish my lecture early, I can have more time for skiing."

Truth doesn't have a history. Being does, and Heidegger got the History
of Being wrong because of his false conception of what Truth is.

Chris Morrissey, President Microsoft Certified Professional
More C Communications Inc. Microsoft Solution Provider
http://www.moreC.com phone 604.877.7731 fax 604.708.9047

On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Iain Thomson wrote:

> Heidegger is wrong on truth but has true insights?
>
> So he has true insights, he just doen't have a true insight about
> truth? He does not have the truth about truth?
>
> What would the truth of truth be? What is the height of height?
> What is the weight of weight? These are nonsensical questions, in
> that they commit what Wittgenstein called the fallacy of the measure
> (you cannot have a measure of the measure. How do you know
> something is a yard long? You measure it with a yardstick. What if
> you aren't sure that your yardstick is really a yard long? You take
> your yardstick and measure it against the yardstick which is the
> official standard of measure. But how do you know that Yard is
> *really* a yard? At some point the conceptual spade turns and human
> beings rely on conventions.)
>
> There is no measure of the measure; no truth of truth. But what
> Heidegger does, following Hegel's insights into the historicity of
> truth, is to show that what we take as truth has a history; the
> contemporary idea of truth as a correct assertion is a refinement of
> the older view of truth as the adequate correspondence of assertion
> with that about which it asserts, etc. What Heidegger adds is that
> all of these notions of truth rely on and logically presuppose the
> idea of truth as disclosure, un-concealment.
>
> Iain
>

> In the end, Heidegger is wrong on truth. Happily, he doesn't
> profess to
>
> > have all the answers to the Question of Being. So we can at least
> take
>
> > his work and redeem it and talk intelligently about Truth, denying
> none
>
> > of his true insights.
>

> > Chris Morrissey
>

> --- from list heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ---