Heidegger and Gnosticism

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Chris Morrissey wrote:

> (I know Heidegger wants to get at something primordial that makes
> assertions possible. Too often this is a wrong turn for him: into
> gnosticism. But his assaults on metaphysics are refreshing and a
> stimulus to think the matter itself for ourselves.)

Chris, I'm intrigued by your comment about Heidegger and
gnosticism, but I'm not sure I understand it. How does Heidegger's
attempt to get at something primordial that makes assertions possible lead
him into gnosticism? Or perhaps what I'm asking is: What do you mean by
'gnosticism'?--the term is used so frequently in so many different
contexts that I'm never quite sure what it intimates....

Mont Allen
Department of Religion
Syracuse University

"Pythagoras was asked by a young man what was the
significance of the fact that he had, while asleep,
conversed with his dead father. Pythagoras said that
'it signifed nothing, for neither is anything signified
by your talking to me.'"
(Iamblichus, *Life of Pythagoras*)