Re: Heidegger and Gnosticism

Very interesting. What remains unthought in Socrates is nonviolence. As such.

Tom B.

On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Chris Morrissey wrote:

> > "So, while the Heideggerians think they are leaping into the nothing,
> they
> > end up having to think something and usually this is just low-grade 20th
> > century gnosticism (a muddle of arcane terminology) with the usual
> > Antichrist pose to justify their own petty immorality. The measure of the
> > true philosopher will always be Socrates, who spoke plainly and sought
> > above all to live a moral life."
> >
> > Aha. This is apparently shaping up as a contest between vapid,
> obscurantist
> > immoralists and staunch, upright moralists who of course speak the
> language of
> > common sense and adhere rigorously to the tenets of reason.
>
> Not at all. Socrates was charged with impiety and corrupting the youth.
> Hardly an upright moralist. The irony was he was trying to be even more
> moral than the upright moralists. Not beyond good and evil, but good above
> and beyond the call of duty. A hero in many ways.
>
> Socrates spoke not the language of common sense for its own sake but
> engaged in creating aporias using nothing but the language of common sense
> itself. In this way, in the aporia, the dimension beyond the common was
> indicated. The way into this dimension was open to anyone willing to speak
> plainly, open to anyone saying and affirming exactly what he believed to be
> true at every turn of the dialogue.
>
> The tenets of reason were not known in advance. They were sought. The
> arche, the aitia, the ousia, the logos. They were open to question.
>
> > Maybe Socrates was, among other things, also a moralistic
> pain-in-the-neck?
> > Reading Xenophon does in fact give me such an inkling.
>
> Another reason perhaps for calling him Saint Socrates.
>
> A moral gadfly? Maybe the piety of thinking is incomplete without the moral
> life.
>
> Chris Morrissey
> More C Communications Inc.
> a Microsoft Solution Provider
> http://www.moreC.com voice or fax 604.877.7731
>

> --- from list heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ---

'After witnessing the gruesome effect of sanctions on children and families
in Basrah, a city in southern Iraq, one delegation member, Brad Lyttle,
said, 'The sanctions are not spectacular, and operate slowly, but they
kill and maim as remorselessly as bullets and bombs, and are destroying a
generation of Iraqi children.' "