Re: Cast impressions

On Mon, 23 Sep Steven E. Callihan writes

>Perhaps we need to reverse the question here. Is there an
>a-phenomenological
>core to things? If so, would it not also be a thing? But, are there
>a-phenomenological things? Is not a thing, by definition,
>phenomenological (that is, are not things and phenomena the same thing)?
Is >this not a case where grammer and language simply fall flat on their
face? >Isn't this also why Heidegger, in his later writings, took to
crossing out the >word "being" wherever he wrote it, because to do
otherwise would be to >accord it the status of a thing?

It would appear that a 'thing' and phenomena are not the same thing. The
reason for this is, the ontological stance one takes in relation to the
thing/phenomena. H's cancellation of being when written is a
juxtaposition to the modern way of enframing. Today we see a river as a
thing, but once we have built a dam to utilize the power/potentiality of
the river, it becomes phenomena, something with meaning. However, the
act of creation, of Poeisis, no longer has nay meaning. Our relation to
what we create has become an act to create standing-reserve instead of
art.

Jason.

"The significant problems we are
facing can *not* be solved at the