From: "Simon Harrison" <sj.harrison@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <beeso@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Enquiry concerning Heidegger/George Patton II
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:49:10 +0100

Dear Kenneth Johnson, I am an academic at the University of Ulster,
in Northern Ireland, and am carrying out research into some psychological
aspects of modern warfare and combat. I was intrigued by your comments
on George Patton Jnr., posted recently on the Web in a discussion of the
philosopher Heidegger. My attention was caught particularly by your
account of Patton's farewell party in Vietnam, and the complaint
subsequently made by the congressman about this behaviour. Please
forgive my forwardness in contacting you in this way, but I would be most
interested to know the source or sources of this information - in
particular, the particular issue of the New York Times Magazine in which
the account of the farewell party appeared. Yours sincerely, Dr
Simon Harrison
School of Psychology
University of Ulster
Coleraine