Re: The vacuus [pain/peinne a ma coeur]

In a message dated 05/10/2004 23:28:06 GMT Standard Time, phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

In article <1d7.2c006bfb.2e8d8b51@xxxxxxx>, GEVANS613@xxxxxxx writes
>Nothing can arrive in a vacuum for neither nothing nor a vacuum can exist

Can a particular location in space be empty of matter? Most varieties of
the atomic theory of matter, from the pre-socratics onwards, hold that
it must be possible for atoms, or ultimate particles, to be surrounded
by some empty space. Ultimate particles are held to retain their size
and shape; they cannot individually be compressed or expanded. So, to
explain phenomena like the expansion of gases, there must be more or
less empty space surrounding atoms. In western thought the atomic theory
was abandoned for many centuries and philosophers like Descartes and
Spinoza could hold that a vacuum was impossible.
--
Philip Baker

Jud:
I include another message which was part of my talk to Jan which I didn't
cross-post to the HDnet
Here it is as a bit more info - I will address your questions soon Philip.

Jan Writes:
Hi Jud,
you're really getting excited, aren't you ... but let's stay relaxed and
look at the following questions:

Jud:
Not excited Jan...amused. ;-)
Relaxed? I'm always relaxed Jan - they call me the Clint Eastwood of
philosophy. Trouble is, the cheroot-ash sometimes falls on the keyboard and the
poncho attracts the cat.

Jan:
- what is a *partial* vacuum ? (I mean, how would a definition of
a partial vacuum look like, without the use of the term 'vacuum' ?

Jud:
I dunno — you tell me — you're the one who introduced the notion of a what
[whoever it is] called it a 'good' vacuum. All I am saying is that when I
wrote to Michael I didn't mention a *good vacuum. * I referred to a *vacuum.*

Jan:
Because if you do, then you inevitably fall victim to some kind of
circular argumentation. Like f.i.: a *partial* vacuum, is a *vacuum*
that ....... )

Jud:
No, Jan - I am not falling *victim* to any kind of argument — you are.
I wrote to Michael that a vacuum cannot exist — and a vacuum plainly cannot
exist — so I am not the *victim* of anything or anybody.

Jan:
- how can you, as a nominalist, say you are denying the reality of a
vacuum,

Jud:
If a vacuum isn't achieved then why kid oneself that it has been
accomplished? That reminds me of Bush and his: *We have won the war * speech.
I'm not a Heideggerian or an American Republican remember, so I am not in
the business of pretence — pretending the war's over or pretending in a
gimmick like *Dasein* — it's simply not my cup of tea. ;-)
I call a spade a spade, and a vacuum a vacuum — if it is only half a spade I
call it half a spade — if it is a partial vacuum I call it *a partial
vacuum.*

Jan:
if you at the same time claim that they not exist ? (I mean,
if you deny or doubt something, you have to have knowledge of that
something what you're denying or doubting ? How can you nominally deny
something if the reality it refers to doesn't exists ?)

Jud:
I am not denying that there are conditions where what we describe or refer
to as * a partial vacuum* can be achieved.
I have a vacuum flask as it happens. And when I go out demonstrating
against B-Liar and Bush and Fox-hunting and all the rest of it I take my *vacuum
flask* with me. Of course it is NOT REALLY as *vacuum flask* it is an insulated
bottle, whereby I fill it up with good old English tea and it displaces the
air. The tea usually remains hot/warm for a couple of hours. I do not
believe that a *vacuum* exists, and I doubt very much if you can find a proper
scientist who will put his money where his mouth is and say that a *vacuum* DOES
exist??? [excuse the 3-question marks]
Bottom line? I do not believe that a true *vacuum* is physically possible
either now or in the future. Therefore I stick by my original statement that:
*Nothing can arrive in a vacuum for neither nothing nor a vacuum can exist.*

If you can PROVE that either *nothing* or a *vacuum * exist — then please
let me be your agent and business manager — for you are going to be a richer
man than Bill Gates - the Heidegger Industry will be peanuts compared to the
moolah you are going to rake in.

Jealously,

Jud

Regards,

Jud

Personal Website:
_http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/index.htm_
(http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/index.htm)
E-mail Discussion List:
nominalism@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
This message may have contained attachments which were removed.

Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.

multipart/alternative
text/html
---