Re: The Poison-Gas Saint and The Anti-Semite Saint

In a message dated 07/10/2004 01:43:14 GMT Standard Time, phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

In article <c0.1827d6f8.2e95d6f8@xxxxxxx>, GEVANS613@xxxxxxx writes
>Perhaps a more appropriate comment would have been the post-WWI Christmas
>poem written by the humanist novelist Thomas Hardy:
>
>"Peace upon earth!" was said. We sing it,
>And pay a million priests to bring it.
>After two thousand years of mass
>We've got as far as poison gas.

Hardy has been underrated as a poet (I note that here, as usual, he is
described as a novelist rather than poet.) But chemical and biological
weapons have been used for centuries. It is a myth that they are a
recent invention.
--
Philip Baker

Jud
You are right Philip - right about Hardy's poetical talents [achievements]
and right about the biological weapons.

Apparently if was often the case that they would catapult diseased bodies of
humans and/or animals over the wall in a siege situation.
It was a question of scale I suppose — otherwise — not much difference.

Regards,

Jud

Personal Website:
_http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/index.htm_
(http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/index.htm)
E-mail Discussion List:
nominalism@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
This message may have contained attachments which were removed.

Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.

multipart/alternative
text/html
---

    • From: Gary C. Moore