Re: The Poison-Gas Saint and The Anti-Semite Saint

Jud!
You are a veritable cornucopia of interesting things this morning! If you
hear anything more about the new saints beatified of interest, tell me! Also
about the same about on old project of John-Paul's, the beatification of the
Nazi Primate of Croatia! I need to catch up on these things!

Can you find an unbiased biography of Karl I on the internet? I would like
to read it. I have always just thought he was a guttless boob before, of no
real note. He tried to secretly make peace with France during his reign by
offering Alsace-Loraine -- not his to offer -- and really pissed Kaiser
Wilhelm II off. Making peace is not a bad idea in itself, but behind his
allies back by offering their teritory? Hardly saint material. When the
fascist and anti-Communist -- but somewhat justified -- Admiral Horthy
declared himself 'Regent" of Hungary in 1920, Karl immediately got on a
train and presented himself in Budapest, without inquiring of anyone again,
and Horthy immediately put him on the next train back. It was not that kind
of 'Regency'. But it sounds like he enjoyed having the throne under him.

Horthy is more interesting that Karl as far as I know. Like the fascist
dictators Metaxas, Franco, and Mussolini anti-Semitism was just a sop to his
more fanatical followers and, when push came to shove -- as I understand it,
all tried to protect their Jews from Hitler which caused Horthy's overthrow
to be replaced by the fanatical Arrow Cross party by Otto Skorzeny in 1944,
all for the benifit of Eichmann.

Gary