Re: [fyi] Indymedia servers in UK seized by FBI ....

Hi Kenneth,

Well yeh, if someone wanted to take out the Indymedia they'd have
to shut down the whole internet, i guess. The FBI raid, i have heard,
didn't do that much harm, the Indymedia folks had back-ups and so
they'll be online soon, probably at another IP because Rackspace
appeared to have acted far too obedient in response to the raid.

Global connectivity and communication, the internet, satellite TV,
cell phones etc. are the most powerful movements and creative
centres of our times, and nobody, no nation-state can stop them.
Today i saw an arab feminist interviewed on TV and she claimed
that the US (the West) will never win the war in Iraq (or the middle
east) because of the emergence of a multitude of arab satellite TV
channels etc. that constantly inform, empower and unite the whole
muslim world. But she also made another interesting observation,
she believed that these new media would encourage and foster a
renewed and emancipatoric debate within the arab/muslim world
itself. One of the prime aspects of these new media she contends,
and totally in line with Derrida, is that this pluriformity of voices
and perspectives, which inevitably will show the multiple layers of
meaning at work in language, politics and religion, are opening up
a new dynamics in the modernisation of Islam. [Something btw. i
think, is urgently lacking in contemporary Christianity, which in its
western disguise is -to use Heidegger's term- in 'Verfallenheit' i.e.
in a state of deep regression, a fear of loss, i.e. fundamentalism.
Think of Europe, so afraid of Turkey and the North-African influx
of muslims, Australia's swing to the right, Bush's bible sessions.]

This all made me think of Teilhard de Chardin. He thinks universal
progress in terms of convergent complexity by way of multiple and
pluriform ultra-syntheses. This global development, which he calls
centro-genesis or noo-genesis, is a process of super-personalization,
wherein spontaneity is our sole vitalizing force. Here spontaneity is
thought as the precious threshold and medium between our micro
and macro cosmos; in naked spontaneity is how we meet: amazement
is love, we're all bodies, beyond difference or unity, a divine text with
infinit meanings .........

yours,
Jan

  • Re: [fyi] Indymedia servers in UK seized by FBI ....