Re: neo-logo-centrism

Jud said:
> A champion bit of writing - it certainly stirred the thick porridge of my
> phlegmatic northern dejeuner and brightened my day.
> Thanks for posting it. Now I have your preserved in amber as...*A Guardian
> Reader.* ;-) I only get one paper a week now - the Observer, though I read
> the Guardian in my barber's. I have been reading The Observer [not the same
> paper] for over 55-years now. I find that it has changed a lot over the
> years - dumbed down quite a bit. Less literacy crit and more on
architecture,
> pop-music and women's styles and other less interesting stuff [as far as I
am
> concerned.]

Hi Jud, actually I am not a gruniad reader; it's just the only paper I can
stomach at all, and I only get that on most Saturdays for the lit-review
mainly (basically traeting it as a Sunday pape); and I agree the Ob is less
than wonderful... For a very long time I didn't read newspapers at all and
refused the TV, all that news (the 'olds' I always called it) makes me sick
(like so much of mod-cult, the news {and car-kult and mob-fones and the
whole psh-n-bex thing, etc etc} has the whiff of lack of hygeine). I prefer
to cast my ears to other vibes... for example, the good Captain Beefheart
spoke to me yesterday from over 30 years ago, with the much louder system I
have for today's beaming in, s(ay)inging beautifully:

"my smile is stuck
i cannot go back to your frownland
my spirit is made up of the ocean
and the sky and the sun and the moon
and all my eye can see
i cannot go back to your land of gloom
where black jagged shadows
remind me of the coming of your doom
i want my own land
take my hand and come with me
it's not too late for you
it's not too late for me
to find my homeland
where a man can stand by another man
without an ego flying
with no man lying
and no one dying by an earthly hand
let the devils burn and the beggar learn
and the little girls that live in those old worlds
take my kind hand
my smile is stuck
i cannot go back to your frownland [2x]"

[Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band 'Frownland', from the album 'Trout
Mask Replica']

Better than all the news.

regards

michaelP