Re: brief think on truth

Marilynn:

> Hi, Michael,
>
> I'm replacing your terms with those of Chrysippus.
>

>> If one says: X
>> (a statement)
>> is true whenever Y
>> (Y being a set of conditions and/or criteria for something said to be
> true,
>> etc)
>
> X=it is light
> Y=it is day
> Z = If it is day, then it is (necessarily) light.

Yes, everything you point out, Marilynn, below is right; I cannot respond
properly now, but I think I should have added (if my long-since forgotten
knowledge of formal logic holds, upside-down A) some for-alls (not easily
symbolisable in pure text terms) in my statements about
statements/propositions. Z should read more like:

"for all statements of the kind "Y then X" (and for-all Y, for-all X)"(=Z, Z
being what can be said to true for each and every instance of X and Y)
if (for all) Y then Z?

Confused? I am. I mean to speak in formal terms concerning the form of
truthful statements: if the form works (is said to be true, produce truths,
in some language game, i.e., produces truths) for all individual
instantiations of Z, is by the same criteria, Z (as a statement of the same
kind as X) also true?

Hopelessly so, now (too much red wine after a loud audition of beefheart's
'Spotlight Kid') confused, but there's someething fluttering dangerously
close. I'll have another go tomorrow. And thanks for locating the itch.

regards

michaelP