Re: all or nothing at all, part X

Jan wrote:

> The vacuum
> part of the partially vacuum space is empty, i.e. it contains or occupies no
> matter but it must exist: ergo this phenomenon is a non-material being.

yes, and equally matter is non-material, non-material be-ing, otherwise
there would have to be some sub-matter that matter was 'made of' (the
materialist's notion of be-ing is whatness and thatness seen as primarily
substantive [ousia], crudely, the be-ing of something is what ultimately and
eternally that something is made of) and then the argument would pass to
such sub-matter (as non-material being), etc; talking of 'vacuums', whether
in a partial or non-vacuum region, if we get down dirty to the 'elementary
particles' of matter and energy, and in particular to those especially
stable systems the scientists speak of as 'atoms', we are told there exist
enormous relative distances (even vaster than the relative distances
involved in our solar system between the planets/moons and the sun) between
the outer electron shells and the nucleatic protons and neutrons, and even
though quanta (photons and the like) must pulse ('move' instantaneously
between shells) with changes in the energy input and output of the atom,
most of the atom consists in necessarily empty space, and the atom is the
prototypical material substratum of the world that is seen as filled with
matter/energy by certain materialists...

Jan, I'm interested in the links between (both early and late) Wittgenstein
and Heidegger, and not just in their thinking of language. I'll write later
on this. Thanks for reminding us.

regards

michaelP