[mpisgmedia] RTI request (DMRC consultancy on Kochi Metro / Kerala CM visit on 24.10.05)

To:
Shri Anuj Dayal, CPRO DMRC Ltd / PIO under RTI Act,
2005

Sub:
Request for rectification of omission under s.4 of RTI
Act, 2005, viz, non-publication of information
relating to DMRC consultancy for Kochi Metro

Ref:
my prior RTI request (College of Defence Management
study-visit to DMRC on 18.10.05):
http://mail.architexturez.net/+/MPISG-Media/archive/msg00617.shtml

Sir,

Kindly refer to Right To Information Act, 2005,
s.4(1)(a) that requires records to be maintained in a
manner that access to them is "facilitated") and
s.4(1)(b) that requires information as per sub-clauses
(i) to (xvii) to be published (and by s.4(1)(c), in
effect, updated) so that, as per s.4(2), people have
"minimum resort to the use of this Act to obtain
information". Please note that even mandatory
information u/s.4(1)(b) has not been published on DMRC
website and MoUD website also does not provide details
of RTI implementation in DMRC (though DMRC, with
yourself as PIO, is listed at no.14 in the list of
organisations under MoUD at
http://urbanindia.nic.in/moud/publicinfo/PIO.pdf)

You are requested to consider in this light my prior
request as well as this one, apropos which I invite
your attention to news items dated 25.10.05 titled
"Oommen Chandy takes a Metro ride" (at:
http://www.hindu.com/2005/10/25/stories/2005102512630400.htm)
and "Detailed project report on Thiruvananthapuram
metro in 6 weeks:CM"(on:
http://www.newkerala.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=40908)
and to news items dated 20.10.05 titled "Delhi Metro
Rail Corp chief consultant for Kochi metro" (on:
http://www.manoramaonline.com), "Kochi Metro Rail:
Expressions of interest invited" (on:
http://www.newindpress.com), etc. From these it
appears that:

(a) DMRC has been appointed chief consultant for Kochi
metro and is preparing DPR for Thiruvanathapuram
metro, apropos which I am unable to locate any
information about how these consultancies were awarded
and the statutory basis/regime (in terms of Delhi
Metro Railway (Operation and Maintenance) Act, 2002)
whereby DMRC, created for purpose of Delhi Metro, is
providing consultancy to Kerala Government.

(b) DMRC has recommended a BOT
(Build-Operate-Transfer) model, apropos which I am
unable to locate information about either assessments
of its own (not BOT) model that led DMRC to recommend
a different one or, indeed, the financial plan for
Delhi metro (not so far disclosed even in my writ
petition challenging its property development
component, even as DMRC seems to be managing massive
cost over-runs being cited in arguments against the
metro option, as in letter to PM by former PM Mr Deve
Gowda about Bangalore metro as per ToI report of
24.10.05)

(c) DMRC will be participating (and as chief
consultant perhaps co-organising) public hearings for
Kochi metro, apropos which I am unable to locate on
DMRC website any information about mechanisms DMRC
follows for public consultations, required to have
been published u/s.4(1)(b)(vii) of RTI Act and, in my
view, also because DMRC does not follow mechanisms
prescribed in Delhi Development Act or in
Environmental Impact Assessment Notification under EP
Act (as evident from its counter-affidavit in my writ
petition).

I am keen to participate in public hearings for Kochi
metro and to seek a public hearing in Delhi (since
DMRC, chief consultant for Kochi metro, is a
Delhi-based public authority). You are accordingly
requested to ensure publication of necessary
information relating to DMRC consultancy for Kochi
metro on DMRC website at the earliest. Please note
that, as in my prior request, I am requesting only
official publication of relevant facts in matters that
the press has partially reported. I believe it is my
right u/s.4 of RTI Act to have as much of such
information as can be published by DMRC without having
to resort to my RTI u/s.6 and reiterate my request for
immediate information of any problems / procedures
relating to my requests. I would also appreciate an
e-mail informing me of receipt of mine.

Thanking you

Yours sincerely
Gita Dewan Verma, Planner