[mpisgmedia] Maharashtra builders to meet CM on July 31

Maharashtra builders to meet CM on July 31 Our Bureau / Pune July 24,
2006 The real estate industry in Maharashtra, under the aegis of the
Maharashtra Chamber of Housing Industry and the Confederation of Real Estate
Developers Association of India (CREDAI), is organising a one-day
convention, Advantage Maharashtra, on July 31, 2006 at the NCPA, Mumbai.

The convention will be inaugurated by Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, and
will be attended by Deputy Chief Minster R R Patil, Revenue Minister Narayan
Rane, Urban Development Minister Rajesh Tope and Union Agriculture Minister
Sharad Pawar.

Planning on presentations range from introducing reforms to attracting
funding, international trends and new age construction of malls and
multiplexes.

Shirish Godbole, secretary of CREDAI (Maharashtra), said: "The presentations
will be made before the appropriate ministers with an emphasis on how this
will impact development and attract foreign investment."

"The state has a conversion of just 18% in the IT sector, and that speaks of
its ability to attract investment." Lalit Kumar Jain, managing director of
Kumar Builders and the convener of the proposed convention.

Jain said: "The convention is an attempt by the real estate industry to seek
reforms and bring about changes as red tape and bureaucracy are now
endangering our business. We want to promote the idea of a single window
clearance and uniform laws across the state that will have a few minor
changes as required by an individual city."

Pointing out to the present system where a Pune builder needs to get
clearances from 27 government departments for each project and a Mumbai
builder needs 56 No Objection Certificates (NOCs), Jain said: "The present
system has many loopholes and slows down productivity thus increasing costs
for the end consumer. We are interested in a transparent system, which will
allow mass production and reduce costs."

Chief among the issues to be presented before the ministers and chief
secretaries are the repeal of The Urban Land Ceiling and Regulation Act, the
need to frame a state housing/real estate policy on the lines of the
National Housing and Habitat Policy adopted by the Parliament, and a local
funding scheme at the state level similar to the national fund -- Jawaharlal
Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission.