Re: Career switch? Civ. Eng. -> Architecture

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture
From: gibsonf1@xxxxxxxxxx (Frederick Clifford Gibson)
Subject: Re: Career switch? Civ. Eng. -> Architecture
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1993 06:34:35 GMT

Magnus (vchan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

: I'm going into my third year of Civ. Engineering. I have a good idea of the
: job field for CivE's right now but am curious about the Architecture
profession.
: Are there plentiful jobs? I'm at the Univ. of Alberta, Canada. Where would
: be the best (read: convenient) place for me to take Architecture? I've heard
: UBC and UManitoba have good programs. I hope that a degree in Civ. Eng. would
: give me good tech. background before embarking upon Arch. Am I right?

: I speak fluent English, French and Cantonese - what are the opportunities
: like overseas? The reason for asking is that I would like to work overseas
: when I graduate but I'm not sure whether I should get a degree in
Architecture.
: I enjoy computer graphic design (which I'm well-versed in) and basically
: the graphics part of architecture but I'm also looking for a meaninful career
: ie. stable job with lots of promotion opportunities (and a chance to work
: overseas).

: See, I'm not too familiar with the actual job(s) of an architect. Could
: someone who's familiar with this (from an architect or even civ. engineer POV)
: elaborate on this? The toughest part of any career change is trying to
: look ahead to see what might be in store for you because of the switch.

: Victor Chan
:

Right now, the "hottest" markets for Architecture are overseas; i.e. China,
Korea, Malaysia, etc. Hong Kong, one of the purest and most sucessful
examples of capitalism, is booming in spite of the looming reversion back
to Chinese rule. When you ask about the "job" of an Architect, are you
referring to the actual projects involved with Architecture (i.e. buildings),
or the services performed by Architects?

Fred Gibson

Designer, Kaplan McLaughlin Diaz Architects, San Francisco
gibsonf1@xxxxxxxxxx