ART: Of Native Americans, Chicago, Illinois.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 21-SEP-1993
11:10:47.99
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: The Braves

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 09:33:03 CDT
From: Kevin Krueger <krueger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: The Braves
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ben, I see your viewpoint and can understand why it might be considered a
mockery to Native Americans. I imagine it is as much so as the Indian
symbolismused in baseball. However, John Q. Public doesn't know what the
artist was
trying to say with the sculptures and can only look at those in some sort of
impression. I would say that the impression is a good impression . . .
finely detailed, larger than life size, action poses, and a sort of gateway to
the city's finest part, Grant Park. I think it adds something to Chicago and
it plays into the historic feel of the Museum/Park area. Quite honestly,
I can't imagine two Picasso sculptures sitting there and looking like they
belong.

"So, here is a society making a monument to the people
that it devastated."

This is true, but you should also remember that people don't look at the
sculptures and remember the massacre, they remember a bygone era when the
west was wild. When men were settlers and life was an adventure, not a rat
race. But I doubt society as a whole had much to do with those sculptures.
I imagine that it was some wealthy to-do's with time on their hands and money
in their pockets, just as it is today.

"Of course, we know how Amerika responds to the official art work
of the 3rd Reich..."

Ben, I hope I don't read too much into your words here, but it really sounds
like your insinuating(sp?) that Americans liked Hitler, liked the Third Reich,
and liked any association with it. Minus the small bands of losers, that is
not true. The fact that the 3rd Reich tour was a blockbuster had more to do
with a fascination and an inquiring mind to find out what the hell happened
over there during that period. Art depicts life and we want to know what
people, people like you and me, were feeling under Hitlers rule.

Kevin