Re: Question about Perceptual Psychology

- - The original note follows - -

From: ccav38@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ("I.Ballouz")
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Re: Question about Perceptual Psychology
Date: 13 Oct 1993 15:32:08 GMT

In article <29fn2m$qcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> tsuchiya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (N
John Tsuchiya) writes:
>Does anyone know the answer to the following question or where to find out
>about it (or whether or not it has been answered):
>
> How in human perception are the visual stimuli grouped into
> objects? I.e., how are a group of figures perceived to be a
> group rather than separate, unconnected entities? (such
> as a group of lines forming a box or letter).
>
>Thanks to anyone who can help...
>
> John Tsuchiya

You might find the writings on the Gestalt theory relevent. Many people
have written about it.
R. Arnheim use the Gestalt theory in his discussions on Art, it is useful to
check his writings too.

Ibrahim Ballouz
--
* IBRAHIM BALLOUZ ** DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE *
* [email protected] ** STRATHCLYDE UNIVERSITY GLASGOW SCOTLAND U.K. *