Re: info on grad level architecture schools

- - The original note follows - -

Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 12:54:45 CST
From: Boutwell <U58100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Re: info on grad level architecture schools

In article <CFpIEJ.EAo@xxxxxxxxxxx>, msaulakh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Manmohan
Singh Aulakh) says:

Well, since you asked....

>structures); I have also already passed the Engineer-in-training
>exam and have engineered and made architectural changes to a 5000+

Great, then you are already practicing architecture without an
a formal architectural education. It's not exactly rocket science.
In fact, check into liscensure in your state. You may be able to
legally sign architectural drawings with your engineering liscence.
Then you could endeavor to forge out your own serious, independent
education. As an academic architect, I strongly urge you to
self-educate.

>sq ft residence. I view architecture as an art (being an artist,
>although producing infrequently {no time}, myself.) What is the

You might have an easy definition of what architecture is, but architects
themselves wrangle about this constantly (just read this newsgroup,
if you can.) Since modernity, art has sought to continually and often-
times consciously redefine itself. Architecture is similar, except that
as a scholastic endeavor it is always being called upon to distinguish it
self from art to varying degrees; and as a real-world practice is is called
upon to defend itself as a viable business. It is never pure (that is to
say, unfettered of *somebody's* expectations) so when you pick your
architecture school you pick your pollution.

>job market for architects as opposed to engineers like? What about

The job market sucks for architects. I cannot emphasize this enough.
The job market for traditional architects, even ones with CAD experience,
sucks sucks sucks. The business is utterly temporal and completely
driven by the economic mood. Don't don't don't do it for the money.
In fact, that's an order.

>the idealist view (art) of architecture (is it feasible after
>economics and the owners are taken into account)? Also how
>important is the GRE? and what about a portfolio? Or should I work

Dependence on GRE's and portfolios depends on the school. Do well
on both. Include non-architectural things in your portfolio only if they
demonstrate your genius-at-large. And make it pretty.

>and then maybe make a switch to architecture after gaining a foot
>in structural design? These are just questions I have; I don't

That is an exceptionally sound idea. Definitely investigate this morass
of architecture and decide whether it's for you before you make the
rather expensive plunge into graduate school.

Just my .02 cents. Good luck!
-Laura Bootsy Boutwell