Re: ARCHITECTURE: Transit-Focused Housing.

> I'm currently researching medium to high density housing developments that
> have been built near rail transit stations (up to about a half mile). I've
> looked along the rail lines in California (BART, Santa Clara, LA, CalTrain
> and the San Diego trolley) and I'm curious about what else exists in
>
> Val Joseph Menotti
> Department of City and Regional Planning
> U.C. Berkeley

Take care: people may be led astray by the title of the
little book by Calthorpe & Kelbaugh: TRANSIT-ORIENTED DEVELOPMENT.

Access is an ESSENTIAL --but not an amenity-- which will attract people
to a spot to live; it is by no means the main attraction though it is an
important concomitant. Certainly, the origin of cities is at
transportation break-bulks and so forth.

But the strangehold of the suburban model will not be broken by offering
people the chance to live near a rapid-transit stop. People flock to
neighborhoods--to social context--far faster than to a rail stop.

Not that you were saying otherwise, I know. But the TOD is a current
buzzword and ACCESS is only one of the reasons upon which people base
their locational decisions.

Cheers,
David Sucher